CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

ATTENTION READERS

This blog is currently under construction. I asked my sister, Kathryn, to update it and make it look fancy and she inadvertently deleted all of my blog lists! If you are my friend or family member and I am supposed to be following your blog, please email me or leave a comment so that I can have your blog address again and create a new list.

Friday, October 06, 2006

Books

I've decided that when it comes to books, I don't have a very good memory. I don't often remember what I've read, who it was by, or even how much I liked it. So I've decided to do something about it. When school supplies came out, I purchased several basic spiral notebooks. At ten cents a piece, I couldn't resist, even though I had no idea what I was going to use them for. One of them has become my book journal. I don't write a lot in it, but I do record what I read, who it was by, what genre it belongs in (though sometimes I make up my own), and either a brief description or a review of some kind. That way I can remember what I've read! And if there was something I liked a lot, when it comes time to find a new book, I at least have an author's name to use as a starting point. I also have a place at the end for book recommendations from others (and books I want to read but haven't gotten to yet) and a place to write down words I may come across that I don't know the meaning of, or am not 100% sure of the meaning, so when I have time I can go look them up! I'm hoping this will help me keep better track of what I read, what I like, and what I want to read next!

Fizzy Joy: Book recommendations! I want to know what you're reading and what books you love!

5 comments:

jenn said...

Dracula, Girl With A Pearl Earring, Girl in Hyacinth Blue, Bel Canto and The Great Divorce are all favorites of mine. I just finished The History of Love and liked that. Kathryn has me reading come chic lit and even though there was a lot of language, Can You Keep A Secret? was VERY entertaining! Looking forward to the Kite Runner for November and Family Cruise bookclubs!

georgia-mom said...

I just finished Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil for book club and except for one really bad chapter, it was very good.
Ditto to Jenn's list. Off the top of my head, I would add The Hiding Place, Screwtape Letters, Man's Search for Meaning, Ender's Game, and the Life of Pi. I've read Siddhartha several times, and Peace Like a River was our book club favorite last year. I really liked Memoirs of a Geisha, Wild Swans, Christy, and The Secret Life of Bees.

jenn said...

Oooh Yes! Mom added more good ones! I read The Undomestic Goddess (same author as Can you Keep a Secret) in a day. A very self indulgent, get nothing else done day. But a day! Another easy, fun, entertaining read if you just want to read for fun! Thanks Kathryn for turning me on to them! I'd love to know what you think of them Elizabeth! Also, have you read any Jan Karon books? I LOVE her Mitford series!

Jill said...

* Angle of Repose
* Girl With A Pearl Earring
* The Robber Bride
* Crow Lake
* The Secret Life of Bees
* Plainsong
* The Stone Diaries
* Bel Canto
* An Equal Music
* The Red Tent
* A Prayer for Owen Meany
* Gift From The Sea
* Swan
* and These Is My Words

It's great that your keeping track of what you read, it's frustrating to read a lot and not remember much. I do that too!

Elizabeth said...

Thank you all for the recommendations. I'll add them to my list!