CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

ATTENTION READERS

This blog is currently under construction. I asked my sister, Kathryn, to update it and make it look fancy and she inadvertently deleted all of my blog lists! If you are my friend or family member and I am supposed to be following your blog, please email me or leave a comment so that I can have your blog address again and create a new list.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

My yearly torture...

Canning is one of those things that I HATE to do, but LOVE the end result of. As of right now, I think I may never do it again. My back aches, my feet are sore, my thumb is brown and icky, I have several little cuts and burns on my fingers, and my hands still smell faintly of onion. And I still haven't done my pears! At this moment, it all seems a bit overwhelming. But ask me next week when the pain has faded and my kitchen is clean again and I'm sure I'll speak with pride of the quarts of peaches, pints of salsa, and various jars of pear sauce I have stored up. And I know my family will be enjoying the "fruits" of my labor all year. Like I said, I LOVE the end result, but it is such a (literal) pain in the neck!

Oh, and as soon as I'm done with my canning, I'll be pulling out my dehydrator so I can get to work on beef jerky, onion flakes, and other herbs and produce... Why oh why do I torture myself like this?

3 comments:

jenn said...

I don't know why you do it- I don't! :) Good luck. I'll be praising you too if you share another jar of homemade jam!! ;)

Miss you!

georgia-mom said...

I didn't know you disliked it so much because you love the fruits of your labor SO much, as does your family.
It is a royal pain, but something about doing it feels right. Something about 'by the sweat of your brow', and 'if you are prepared ye shall not fear.'
I'm just jealous you have good, affordable fruit to can. Count your blessings in every yummy bite, and enjoy the work of your hands.

Elizabeth said...

I actually don't dislike it 51 weeks out of the year. It's just the week I actually do it that it's such a struggle. And really I hate the aching back and sore feet, not the process of canning.