CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

ATTENTION READERS

This blog is currently under construction. I asked my sister, Kathryn, to update it and make it look fancy and she inadvertently deleted all of my blog lists! If you are my friend or family member and I am supposed to be following your blog, please email me or leave a comment so that I can have your blog address again and create a new list.

Friday, September 08, 2006

Empty?

I canned my pears yesterday, and it went surprisingly smoothly. I was able to do it all in about 3 hours. I only had 2 boxes of pears instead of the 3 of peaches I had, but I still got WAY less with the pears than peaches. I canned 42 quarts of peaches, but only half that with pears. Why is that? I don't know. I thought I would get about the same amount per box so I should have had 28 quarts of pears, not 21.
Then this morning, I took a little time to rearrange my canning shelves to get it organized. I am so surprised at how many empty jars I have. I have more than 4 boxes of empty pint jars, at least that many in empty quart jars, and a couple dozen empty half pint jars. Where did all these empty jars come from? I know I didn't do green beans or salsa this year, but I didn't think I did that many jars of either of those things, and that only takes pint jars, not quart. I still have jam to do, but only peach, and that'll only be half a dozen or so jars. I don't remember ever doing a whole lot more canning than I did this year, and yet I have way more empty jars than I should. I was looking forward to shelves overflowing with canned goodness and love, but I'm left with half empty shelves and boxes and boxes of empty jars. It actually makes me rather sad.


Fizzy Joy: the white beauty of pears when they come out of the canner.

Oh, one other totally unrelated thing. A few days ago, we had a really foggy morning. It burned off by about 10:00, but it was foggy for a while. Yesterday, when Becca woke up, I happened to be standing right by her bed. She opened her eyes, jumped up, looked out the window, and the first words out of her mouth (with great enthusiasm) were, "Hooray! It's not foggy!" How funny is that coming from a 3 year old?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a canning goddess!!

georgia-mom said...

Put your glasses back on and look and what you did accomplish this year. You did great!
People who don't can never have that satisfaction of beautiful fruit just out of the canner. It is indeed a fizzy joy, a sense of accomplishment, a gratitude for the bounties of the earth, and a good feeling that you have prepared for the winter for your family.
Foggy mornings are so common in the Northwest that I'm not surprised even a child would notice one that wasn't. How observant and cute.