CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

ATTENTION READERS

This blog is currently under construction. I asked my sister, Kathryn, to update it and make it look fancy and she inadvertently deleted all of my blog lists! If you are my friend or family member and I am supposed to be following your blog, please email me or leave a comment so that I can have your blog address again and create a new list.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Talent and Ability

I'm not sure if anyone knows this about me, but I've always had a desire to be an artist. I've always craved the ability to draw or paint or do something artistic. Even just today I put pen to paper and wanted so much to be able to draw something. But here's the problem; I have absolutely no artistic ability. It's not that I haven't had the opportunity or inclination to develop a latent talent, I just do not have the ability. I've tried. Even things as simple as a step by step lesson on how to draw Mickey Mouse just goes over my head. Try as I might, I cannot get my drawing to look anything like Mickey. I know there are people who say I can and do express my creativity in other ways, but it's just not the same. I can't look at a blank piece of paper and imagine what to put on it, and even if I could, I am not able to bring that vision to reality. Something just doesn't connect. There is that story out there about when Michelangelo was working on the statue of David, he said that David was already in the block of marble, he was just removing the excess. It's a nice idea, but totally foreign to me.

This isn't a blog to complain about something I cannot do. There are many things I do, and even some I do well. This is more a blog about something that's been on my mind lately. Do we have legitimate limitations or do we limit ourselves? Are we capable of anything we're willing to put the work into or are there things, try as we might, that we just are not able to accomplish? I truly feel I do not have the talent or ability to be any kind of artist, and yet, I've always felt the desire to do it. I struggle to reconcile my longing to do something with the reality of my complete inability to do it. Does anyone have anything to say about this? Am I even making sense? I would love to hear what you have to say.

4 comments:

Micah said...

Me too! I don't have any desire to be an artist, but I would love to sit in class taking notes and just be able to doodle in the margins. It doesn't happen! Well, it does, but it doesn't look good. I have a hard enough time drawing a stick figure - hearts, flowers, swirls, and dots are completely out of the question.

Yes, I believe there are physical limitations that each of us have, although they are obviously different for everyone. I also believe that with hard work we can make our terrible talents into decent abilities. We may never uncover hidden depth or apptitude, but we do not have to suffer through being bad at anything. Keep practicing... Mickey will take shape soon enough. (My five-petaled flowers are still six petals because it makes more sense to me... and they are lop-sided too!)

jenn said...

I agree we have limitations (I can not draw, despite two classes at BYU and I can not sing, despite attending choir faithfully for a year). But I do think we can improve on anything that interests us! I wanted to paint crafts, so I took a class. I am NO artist or pro by any means. But I am confident enough to pick up a brush and follow a pattern.
I have a friend who was a good singer, but not fabulous. She wanted to graduate from BYU in Musical Performance, not teaching, not a minor... so she was there 8 years! But she did it! So, maybe the real lack is not in talent but in time and money to really work on a talent. We will have limitations, but that doesn't mean we can't show improvement!

georgia-mom said...

It's funny you should mention Micky Mouse. I have no artistic ability either, but when I was in junior high and taking an art class, I tried to draw Mickey, and this one time in my life I drew a really good one! Unfortunately it was on a chalk board. Of course it faded away.
I've watched and asked questions about talent all my life. I work with very talented quilters and artists who believe anyone can do anything. I just don't agree. I think talent is a real thing that allows you to do things that other people just can't.
But I also believe we probably have all talents in embryo and we can improve in anything we try. That includes drawing, but that, more than any other talent, takes a special eye to see. You seem to have it or you don't.
Creativity is something I also thought I didn't have, but I've decided everyone has it in some small area of their life, even if it's how to clean house. If we can find our creative outlet, therin lies our personal satisfaction, our opportunity to create and expand and build.
I'm for doing anything you enjoy, even if you're not great at it.
I also think that in the next life the limitations will be lifted, and we will be able to do those things that we truly want to do. That will be Heaven.

Jill said...

I think most of our limitations are self-imposed, though I definitely feel like some people have an obvious talent for some things that others don't. My husband can draw absolutely anything, and my daughter is becoming just like him. I can only draw a basic palm tree and an elephant butt, random I know. I still like to believe that if I wanted something badly enough I could take classes and work to get better at it, I just haven't found anything I'm willing to do that with.