CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

ATTENTION READERS

This blog is currently under construction. I asked my sister, Kathryn, to update it and make it look fancy and she inadvertently deleted all of my blog lists! If you are my friend or family member and I am supposed to be following your blog, please email me or leave a comment so that I can have your blog address again and create a new list.

Monday, December 31, 2007

New Year's Eve

For most of the world, today is a holiday. It's the day people celebrate the end of one year, and the beginning of a new one. Most people make resolutions of some kind, reflect on the year that's passed, or just use it as an excuse to party. Growing up, New Year's Eve was always a time to celebrate, but it was rarely the start of a new year we were celebrating. We had a much more important reason to celebrate. Today is my big sister's birthday.

I think my most memorable New Year's found me crashing her party. It was Jenn, her best friend Marie, and by default, me watching fireworks on the tiny tv on our dresser while drinking Martinelli's. We shared a room, so Jenn had no choice but to include me. It was like that every year. We fought a lot as kids. We had very different personalities, but were forced to share a room. She put up with a lot from her little sister. I don't know how she didn't kill me. Jenn hasn't always had the best of birthdays. One year she ended up taking care of all 7 younger kids because Mom was in bed with pneumonia. I think she was 12. Jenn has always taken care of the family.

As we've gotten older, Jenn continues to be the one who keeps the family together. She was a newlywed my freshman year at college, but her house was always open to me. I think she's done the same for everyone who's gone to BYU. Her house is always the focal point of family celebrations. Everyone is always welcome. She loves to have her house full of family. Any time we gather, it's to her home. She cooks, she cleans, she provides couches and beds and blankets and pillows, she makes us all feel like it's our home. And even when we're not there, she finds ways to make us feel like we're loved and missed and wanted. This family would not be what it is without her. We are a cohesive family as adults because of the efforts of Jennifer. She deserves every bit of the credit, and I greatly appreciate it.

We don't fight anymore. We haven't in years. I feel blessed and lucky to have her as a sister. She is an amazing example to me. She is generous and loving and talented and flat out wonderful. So tonight I will be celebrating again. She won't be here with me. We'll be separated by many hundreds of miles, but I'll raise a glass of Martinelli's and toast the birth of my big sister, the wonderful Jennifer Nielsen. I love you, Jenn. Happy Birthday.

2 comments:

The Miller's said...

That was SO sweet it gave me goose bumps and brought tears to my eyes. Jenn was a bit older than me, but as a young woman in the same ward as her I looked up to her. I could see just by looking at her that she is all those things you described. She has His image in her countenance.

If you read my comment Jenn -- Happy Birthday!

jenn said...

What the heck- that is a whole lot of nice! I don't know that I deserve all that, but I appreciate that you think it! And that you were thinking of me on my birthday! Happy Me!

(thanks Amber! it is sure fun to see a familiar face when I comment on Elizabeth's blog!!)