CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

ATTENTION READERS

This blog is currently under construction. I asked my sister, Kathryn, to update it and make it look fancy and she inadvertently deleted all of my blog lists! If you are my friend or family member and I am supposed to be following your blog, please email me or leave a comment so that I can have your blog address again and create a new list.

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Don't call it a resolution

This is the time of year everyone is making resolutions. Unfortunately, most resolutions don't last as long as the leftovers. I don't want to call this a resolution. It just so happens that I got some good information at this time of year I want to implement, but it's not a "resolution."

A few days before Christmas one of the girls who teaches gymnastics to my kids posted a blog on her MySpace page. It was about a report she saw on the news about natural ways to decrease stress. She assumed it would include things like teas, massages, and the like. She was surprised when she watched the report because it was nothing of the kind.

What they said was that it is physically impossible to be stressed and thankful at the same time.

I thought about that for a few minutes and decided I didn't believe it. I could be thankful and stressed at the same time. I didn't see any reason their claim was true. But I decided to put it to the test anyway. Boy was I surprised.

The last 10 days of the year were pretty crazy for me. With Christmas and wedding stuff filling up my days, in addition to Tyler's eye issues and all the normal business of life, I was anticipating a pretty stressful time. Under normal circumstances, it would have been a very stressful time. But every time I started to feel the pressure of the stress, I would pause and try to think of something I was thankful for. I was amazed at how quickly I calmed down and relaxed. It really works!

The report stated you needed to be truly thankful for this to work, and I believe that to be true. But I took it one step further. Not only did I try to be thankful, but I tried to think of something about the situation that was stressing me out that I could be thankful for. Instead of stressing at my super tight time line the day of the wedding, I was thankful I was asked to be a part of such a special day. Instead of stressing over Tyler and his eyes, (something I still want to stress over!) I'm thankful we have medical insurance to help pay for treatment, and that I live in a time when medicine is able to help him. Instead of stressing out when I came down with the flu 2 days before Christmas, I was grateful I had a husband who was able and willing to step in and take care of the kids while I was sick in bed. What could have been a very stressful time for me was anything but. I was able to enjoy every day, every experience, every moment. Well, maybe not the flu so much, but I didn't get stressed over being sick so close to Christmas.

This has been so successful for me, it's a behavior pattern I want to continue. Who doesn't want less stress in their lives? I really didn't believe it could be so simple, but I put it to the test, and it really does work. I'm less stressed, and much happier. All for something as simple as being thankful. Right now I am especially thankful for Kenna and the blog she posted that taught me such a valuable lesson!

This isn't a resolution. This isn't a way to improve myself for the new year, or something that will be gone before the cookies and candies. This is a way of living that I've tried and loved and want to continue. It just happens to coincide with the start of a new year.

4 comments:

The Miller's said...

I love this! I am so going to try this. This has one of the most stressful years of my life so I really need this right now. If you don't mind I'm going to link to this entry in a post of my own. Thank you!

jenn said...

I had considered using "gratitude" as my word for the new year. (I didn't, this time.) Who knew it could have scientific basis for a happier me! I love that you are using it for a life style instead of a resolution- wise!

Lauralee said...

love that! great lifestyle.. the book I am reading called happier.. has talked about this very thing!

Anonymous said...

That's great. It makes total sense. All too often we over look our blessings until they are gone. I life of thankfulness is a fantastic idea.