CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

ATTENTION READERS

This blog is currently under construction. I asked my sister, Kathryn, to update it and make it look fancy and she inadvertently deleted all of my blog lists! If you are my friend or family member and I am supposed to be following your blog, please email me or leave a comment so that I can have your blog address again and create a new list.

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Dance Festival

Back when I was a kid, the youth of our stake got to participate in a multi-stake dance festival. It was an elaborate production, with hundreds of kids, many dances, and pretty fantastic costumes. At least, that's how I saw it. From the outside. Alas, I was too young to participate. I was heartbroken as I watched Jenn and Ben practice and rehearse. To me, the Axel F song was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. I'm not jealous by nature, but I was jealous then. I so badly wanted to be there dancing too. It was such a unique opportunity, and one that did not come up again during my time as a youth.

A couple months ago I was called to be Laurel Advisor in my ward. I actually have it pretty easy. I teach the lessons on Sunday, and am asked to come to weekday activities, but not asked to be in charge of them or even involved in the planning. Not long after being called, I learned that the youth of our ward and stake were about to start practices for... an 11 stake dance festival.

Now I don't get to dance in this one either, but it's ok. Last month I went to a practice session for leaders where they taught us the amazing waltz these kids get to do. Even with a little waltz experience myself, it was tough for me! There are some pretty tricky formations these kids have to master. But it's a beautiful dance, choreographed by a local dancer in Gig Harbor. Then last night 3 wards of youth met together to start the first official practice for the dances.

There will be one group dance that all 11 stakes will do. They showed us the moves before we heard any music, and after the second combination they showed, I thought to myself, "This looks a lot like a High School Musical dance number..." It is. :) We're learning the dance to We're All In This Together! As I looked around the room, I noticed a vast majority of the leaders were standing along walls or hiding in the back of the room. Not me. I was side by side with Melanie Lopez, the secretary in YW for my ward, in the front row learning the dance! I had such a great time. We didn't learn a lot of it, but enough that I could come home and impress my kids that I knew this dance they'd seen on tv so often. :) I was pretty sure before I went that I was going to enjoy myself, but even I was surprised at how much FUN I was having!


Then we got started on the waltz. They started by teaching, not the box step as I'd assumed, but a straight line waltz. It actually makes some sense since there is quite a bit of straight waltzing, but they're going to have to teach these kids how to TURN while waltzing! The first couple attempts by these kids made me laugh! You could tell they really wanted to do it right, but really had no idea how. But they picked it up faster than anyone thought they would. It was expected we'd do nothing but practice waltzing solo around the room for the night, but they were so good, they taught them one of the first segments of the song! I was really impressed with those kids. They were focused and serious while still having fun and enjoying the dance. You really couldn't have asked for a better first practice from them.

I think this will be a really great experience for these kids, one they'll remember for a long time. How often do teenagers get to dress up in beautiful clothes and waltz around a packed arena? For some kids, never. I didn't get to participate in the one done years ago, but being able to be a part of this, even just as a leader there to help them learn, has been pretty great for me. It's almost even erased my jealousy at not being able to participate in the one 20 years ago. :)

Oh, and the highlight of my evening! Everyone was lined up, boys on one side, girls on the other, before learning the first section of the dance. I was at the very back of the line. Brother Belliston made a comment that he knew Viennese Waltz, but it was different from what he was seeing the kids do. Then he grabbed me and started waltzing me down the center aisle between where everyone was lined up! It was fantastic! He was pretty good too. It was a great cap to what was a great night, and a great beginning to what should be a great 6 months preparing for this dance festival.

4 comments:

jenn said...

I am super excited for you- I love dancing! And I could use the HSM tutorial for a game Kelly bought the kids for Christmas!

Don't be jealous- our costumes were hideous and I spent the WHOLE night dealing with "boyfriend" issues. I sure hope my girls listen when I tell them boyfriends ruin ALL the fun!

~Jeri Darling~ said...

i give props to anyone with enough coordination to do such things.

The Miller's said...

That sounds like so much fun!

One thing we did do in our ward that I thought was fun was that musical, I think it was called "Five." I have a picture somewhere from that and you, Jenn, and I are in it. Once we're moved in to the house I'll be able to find that picture and I'll show it to you.

Lauralee said...

I am so excited for the kids.. I got to be in a dance festival.. years ago.. it was a dumb dance, and awful costumes.. but it was soooooo fun, the performance especially, the practices got old.. but anyway.. I can't wait till we get to see it..
sounds like a fun night for you guys.. do you guys practice at your building? our ward practices at ridgecrest..
have a great night!