CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

ATTENTION READERS

This blog is currently under construction. I asked my sister, Kathryn, to update it and make it look fancy and she inadvertently deleted all of my blog lists! If you are my friend or family member and I am supposed to be following your blog, please email me or leave a comment so that I can have your blog address again and create a new list.

Saturday, January 05, 2008

Go Hawks!



Today is Wild Card Weekend in the NFL. That means the start of the playoffs. For the 4th year in a row Seahawks enter the playoffs as the Champions of the NFC West. And, surprisingly, we go in as the underdog in this game. We're a higher seed in the tournament, but not favored by any of the experts. Why is that, you ask? Because we're playing the red hot Washington Redskins. In case you haven't been paying attention, I'll fill you in on what's been going on. The Redskins lost one of their best players earlier this season when he was shot and killed during a botched robbery attempt. He wasn't expected to be home because of an away game the day before, but he was. And someone foolishly brought along a gun to try to rob what they thought was an empty house. It's been a very emotional loss for the entire team, and they really feel like they're playing for him. Since his funeral, they haven't lost a game. Plus they're coached by a Hall of Fame coach, Joe Gibbs, who is generally considered to be a genius coach. So even though we're third seed to Washington's 6th seed, nobody expects us to win. We'll see. I think the experts have over-estimated just how far emotion can carry you. I have to think their 4 must win games in a row, as well as a short practice week, have to take a serious toll on a team. I'm not sure they have any reserves left to pull out another win against what the Seahawks bring to the table. And they've under-estimated the 4 pro bowl starters on our defense. Our running game is a bit sketchy. Shaun Alexander has pretty much been a non-factor all year. But our defense is pretty darn remarkable. You can't stop these guys. There are so many play makers, you don't know who to block or even who to watch out for. And you should never under-estimate the 12th man. Quest Field is the loudest stadium in football. Our fans are enthusiastic and loud. We cause more false start penalties because of noise than any other team in football. It'll be tough, but I think we can pull out a win. Mostly I'm excited that we're playing on a Saturday afternoon instead of a Sunday so I can just sit and enjoy the game, the whole game, without feeling guilty that I'm watching football on a Sunday. It should be an excellent game. I'll be watching, dressed in my 12th Man jersey, cheering on my home town team. Even if you don't join me, that's ok. I'm going to enjoy my afternoon. Win or lose, I love these guys. GO HAWKS!!


UPDATE: It was a most excellent game. Our defense dominated the first half, but seemed to fall apart a bit in the 3rd quarter. In a matter of 2 minutes and 15 seconds, we went from up 13-0 to down 14-13. Then we lost the ball to an interception in the next drive. It looked like Washington might blow us out in the 4th quarter. Then our defense woke up again. Assisted by 2 interceptions returned for touchdowns, we pulled out a pretty convincing win. Final score: 35-14! Gotta love these guys. Next up, the Green Bay Packers. I'll say it again; GO HAWKS!!

2 comments:

Lauralee said...

wow.. I didn't know you were such a fan! the game was on here, but I didn't pay much attention to it, except when curtis said that Tom Cruise was there.. I was like what? maybe we should go for a drive! ha!

jenn said...

when did you become a Seahawks fan? I lived there for how many years and never considered myself a "fan"!! I guess you've been there a lot more years than I! enjoy the game!