CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

ATTENTION READERS

This blog is currently under construction. I asked my sister, Kathryn, to update it and make it look fancy and she inadvertently deleted all of my blog lists! If you are my friend or family member and I am supposed to be following your blog, please email me or leave a comment so that I can have your blog address again and create a new list.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Am I crazy?

I just volunteered to start and run a new Enrichment group for my ward! I don't know what I was thinking. Except that I thought the idea was wonderful (thank you Mom!) and I really wanted to do it. I figured this was the only way it would get done, so I'm organizing it!

It's going to be a cooking group, but the way it's going to work is we're going to have a category for the month, and everyone is going to come having cooked something from that category. We can compare recipes, talk about what we've found that works and what doesn't, and have some kind of demonstration on the topic. At the end of the night you'll get to take home any of the recipes you want, and we're even looking into getting recipe notebooks to keep them all together.

Our first class is Thursday, December 14th at my house. Our topic will be Christmas candy. I'm actually really excited about this one, and I personally plan on making 3 or 4 different things. The women I've talked to about this seem really excited about it, so I hope it's as fun and successful as it sounds.

Future topics I've been considering: breads and rolls, casseroles, Mexican food, brownies, food storage, cookies, and cheesecake. Any other thoughts on what I can do? What would you like to see in a class like this? I've never done anything like this, so I'm a little worried about how to make it a success. I would love any thoughts any of you have!

Oh, I've also volunteered to start up a book club. It won't be under the umbrella of the Relief Society since our Stake President won't allow it, but my guess is it'll be almost entirely women from my ward. I'll have to deal with that when I get back from Mexico too!

6 comments:

jenn said...

can I come?!!

I don't dare add one more thing to my plate or I would totally start that in my ward- GREAT idea!

salads, jello, soups/chili, appetizers and dips all come to mind. send me the best brownie recipe, okay!!

do you have a demo for your first meeting? I could tell you some easy ways to use chocolate (drizzle, dip, shapes...)

jenn said...

oh- and good luck with your bookclub! If you can get people to your first meeting and pick several books and hosts, it will pretty much run itself.

some good starter books might be
Screwtape Letters
The Great Divorce
The Alchemist
Gift from the Sea
Persian Pickle Club

Elizabeth said...

I do not have a demo for my first meeting! I thought about trying to demonstrate hard ball and soft ball stages of candy making, but I'm really bad at that! I'd LOVE to hear what you have to say about ways to use chocolate!!

Micah said...

Nearly every household in America has a blender. Since I don't have any idea how to use mine, I would do a night on smoothies and slushies... or any other way you can use your blender. Also, low-carb, healthy foods are always good to know as well as party/finger foods. The other thing I can think of is any recipe with 5 or less ingredients or prepared in under an hour (cooking time included). Good luck with that. I wish I could be there!

Elizabeth said...

Such good ideas from all of you! Thank you SO MUCH!!

Jill said...

Wow, you're going to be busy! Those groups sound fun. I hope you'll pass on the good info and recipes you end up with.