CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

ATTENTION READERS

This blog is currently under construction. I asked my sister, Kathryn, to update it and make it look fancy and she inadvertently deleted all of my blog lists! If you are my friend or family member and I am supposed to be following your blog, please email me or leave a comment so that I can have your blog address again and create a new list.

Friday, March 09, 2007

A beginning and an end

Because of the change in our ward boundaries coming up, last night was my last night hosting our recipe Enrichment group for my ward. As of next month I'll be in a new ward! I was a little sad to see it end, at least for the time being. We had 4 women in attendance (that included me), which is about average. This group never had the time it needed to build up a good group coming, though many women expressed interest in the group. We had a fun night talking about anything and everything that came to mind. Two of us made stuffed mushrooms, but they were so different it was nice to have them both. There was also a cold spinach dip served with french bread, a pineapple cheese ball, and a warm cheesy bread. It was all excellent. I'm glad I started this group, and I'm hoping someone liked it enough that they'll keep it going after the boundary changes. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to try to start it up again in my new ward. I'll let you know if I do.

So that was the ending. As for the beginning, I am officially a soccer mom! We signed Rachel and Tyler up for soccer and they both had their first practices this week. This will be a short season, just two months, so it'll be just enough for them to get a sense of the game and if they want to play in more established leagues (and it will give me an idea if it's worth paying for a more established league before I put in a lot of money into something they end up not enjoying). We ended up with great coaches for both kids. Tyler's coach is our neighbor, and her daughter, along with the little girl across the street are both on his team. This is really great for me since some of his practices will be at the same time as Rachel's gymnastics class, so he can go with them. Rachel's coach is also named Rachael, and it's a mother of one of the kids in her class, so she's met her several times. Both coaches have several years of experience and really know what they're doing. Not all teams have that. The district had more than double the expected number of kids sign up, so they called pretty much every parent who had a child signed up asking for people who would coach. As difficult as we're already finding it to get two kids to practices and games (and gymnastics for all three still), I'm excited that my children have shown interest in soccer. Scott played for years as a kid and really wanted his kids to play as well. We didn't push this at all, they told us about it (repeatedly). Rachel even read the flier she brought home from school and marked the last day for sign ups on the calendar to make sure we didn't forget! So we're off to start on our next adventure, this one being soccer. :)

Oh, I also had my first piano lesson last week! It was just an evaluation to see what I knew and what I didn't so he could start with a lesson plan for me, but even that was exciting and fun for me! I can't wait to see what I'm able to do with his help.

Fizzy Joys: unseasonably warm days, pumpkin candles, laughter, fresh fruit in season.

5 comments:

The Miller's said...

Glad things seem to be looking up since the last time you posted.

The Miller's said...

P.S. Just noticed the comments on my blog...thanks for that! Interesting theory about the hallucinations, I'd say I'll let you know if I notice a difference, but hoping I don't have anymore! I've been napping almost everyday when Colette does, so I usually get enough sleep since I've been pregnant.

jenn said...

You do know that I may not talk to you any more. I have serious issues with soccer moms, especially that they do multiple activities and you are now up to two!
I wish I could say I was joking, but I'm not. The time, money and parking make it truly something I avoid, even if it is to the detriment of my children.

georgia-mom said...

I'm so glad you did the cooking group. It made me happy just hearing about it. I would have come!
Soccer, huh? It's especially admirable that you would do that in cold, wet Washington. It's a sacrifice, but will be fun for your family.
Did your piano teacher say your mother taught you all wrong? I hope not. I'm still excited for you.

Micah said...

Sweet! well, I'm officially a soccer player. Does that count for something? I played one season, several years ago, but a good friend of mine invited me to play with her team on an indoor league. It's actually pretty fun, although we don't get to play as much as I like. Good for you for having active children.