CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

ATTENTION READERS

This blog is currently under construction. I asked my sister, Kathryn, to update it and make it look fancy and she inadvertently deleted all of my blog lists! If you are my friend or family member and I am supposed to be following your blog, please email me or leave a comment so that I can have your blog address again and create a new list.

Friday, May 25, 2007

Green Thumb wanna be

The Prophet said to plant a garden.
Oh won't you plant a garden too,
and share the many joys
a garden brings in health and love
to happy girls and boys!


My "playgroup" on Thursday was at my house. It was a beautiful day so we worked outside. One of the things we did was to clear out the area I used for a garden last year. I hadn't touched it at all since last year, so it was pretty overrun with weeds. But we got it all cleared out! It's a bit late in the season to be planting seeds, so I bought a few actual plants to transplant into my newly cleared garden. I'm kind of excited at the prospects. If it all goes well, I'll have zucchini, cucumber, tomatoes, bell peppers, eggplant and watermelon! I hope they all survive the transplant process and give me some decent results. If so, next year I'm clearing out an even larger area and adding onions, peas and cantelope to my garden. I hate the work of the garden, specifically the weeding, but I sure love having home grown fruits and vegetables to eat. They just taste better. And the price of produce has gotten so high, I think a little work is worth the effort. Anyone know what it takes to grow jicama? And I'm thinking about asking Scott how he feels about planting apple trees...

3 comments:

georgia-mom said...

What a great thing for your group to do! I'm sure you loved having the help and getting the jump start. You didn't learn gardening from me, but I'm so glad you want to do it.
I tried to learn how, but it was like having more children that you had to feed, water, nurture, clean up after, spend time with, and keep up with.
If I know you, whatever you put your mind to you can do! (A little green food coloring might help that thumb!)

Deborah said...

That's so cool! I can't wait to have a place where I can have a garden - we get NO sun at our place now, and apparently plants need sun to grow - who'd have thunk?? ;)

Melba Toast said...

I'm a greenthumb wanna be too! I keep working in other's people's yard for practice! :) I can't wait to have a yard. I think. Actually, if I just had a balcony where I could put pots and such on, I would be happy.