CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

ATTENTION READERS

This blog is currently under construction. I asked my sister, Kathryn, to update it and make it look fancy and she inadvertently deleted all of my blog lists! If you are my friend or family member and I am supposed to be following your blog, please email me or leave a comment so that I can have your blog address again and create a new list.

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Sunday Post

Today may have been one of my favorite sacrament meetings ever. Instead of the usual speakers you'd expect to hear, the meeting was opened up to the congregation, sort of like a testimony meeting, but instead of bearing our testimonies, we could request to sing a particular verse of any hymn in the hymn book. Most people would give a short explanation of why they chose that hymn or what it meant to them before we sang it, so it became a meeting filled with testimony and a very strong spirit. There is so much truth and love in the hymns, and being able to sing so many of them was a really beautiful experience. It was a little surprising to me what was chosen. When one sister asked to sing the third verse of If You Could Hie To Kolob, I was really surprised. I didn't think anyone but the Sauters knew that hymn! It was really a very special spirit in that room, and I am so grateful I was there today to experience it. In case you're wondering, I did go up and ask for a particular hymn. It was really tough for me to pick just one hymn. There are so many hymns that I love and wanted to sing. For most of the meeting I was leaning towards Lead Kindly Light, but couldn't decide on one verse over another. Ultimately I chose the 4th verse of hymn #86; How Great Thou Art. If I were ever required to choose just one verse of one hymn that was truly my favorite, this is it.

When Christ shall come, with shout of acclamation,
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart.
Then I shall bow in humble adoration
And there proclaim "My God, how great thou art."
Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee
How great Thou art! How great Thou art!
Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee
How great Thou art! How great Thou art!

3 comments:

The Miller's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Miller's said...

My fave is "Our Savior's Love". I do like "If You Could Hie To Kolob", I'd say it's in my Top 5.

georgia-mom said...

I've heard about this, but regrettably have never been in such a meeting. Sounds awesome.
I have found others who also like "If You Could Hie to Kolob". Too Bad "Come Thou Fount" isn't in the hymnbook. "Lead Kindly Light" was your grandmother's favorite hymn.
I love your choice. One of the grandest marriages of words and music in the world. I expect we'll hear it in Heaven when we get there.