CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

ATTENTION READERS

This blog is currently under construction. I asked my sister, Kathryn, to update it and make it look fancy and she inadvertently deleted all of my blog lists! If you are my friend or family member and I am supposed to be following your blog, please email me or leave a comment so that I can have your blog address again and create a new list.

Monday, September 17, 2007

To stitch or not to stitch...

I was at the gym this afternoon when I got called up to the front desk. At first I thought maybe Becca needed me in the kids room, but then I remembered she wasn't in the kids room, she was with my neighbor. I was surprised to hear I had a phone call. Nobody but my neighbor knew I was at the gym. The first words out of her mouth were, "So, don't panic..." Um, what?

They were at Walmart when Becca just turned around to go another direction and walked right into one of the displays on an end cap. She fell back on her bum, and put her hand up to her head. As my neighbor was trying to get her to move her hand away from her face so she could see if she was hurt, blood started spilling out from under her hand and between her fingers. She had two pretty serious gashes; one on her cheek, the other just above her eye.

Fortunately there was an off duty medic near by who was able to stop the bleeding and get her taken care of. I should also mention the employees at Walmart were great with both Becca and my poor neighbor who was seriously freaking out. Becca never cried the entire time. She just sat there and let everyone take care of her.

Of course I rushed her to our doctor's office, calling them to let them know I was on the way with a 4 year old in need of stitches. They "don't take walk-ins" there, and the Urgent Care clinic wasn't open yet, so the best I could do was take an appointment for 90 minutes later. Of course once they saw her they didn't make me wait. We were in within minutes. Faster than if we'd gone to an ER, in fact. We were walking OUT before the time of our appointment.




We didn't see our normal doctor, but the one we did see was great. He decided that the wounds were perfect for Dermabond, basically a medical grade super glue. The skin was easily pinched back together, and the wounds weren't too long or deep. They looked nasty, but they weren't too bad once they got the skin back together. So she was saved the trauma of stitches on her cheek and eye. She lay perfectly still as they applied the glue and did everything they asked the entire time. By the time they were done, she was more than ready to skip down the hall with the nurse to get a handful of stickers. She was really a trooper. I couldn't believe how well she did.

So it turns out the decision was NOT to stitch. But she is going to have a couple neat scars.

3 comments:

jenn said...

shees! between the hair cutting and face gashing- this girl is keeping things interesting!

~Jeri Darling~ said...

what the freak kind of display could do that much damamge over a face bonk? i hope walmart moves it..

georgia-mom said...

Her injuries look pretty sore. What a trooper she was! I've often thought scars make people more interesting, and the stories that go along with them. Thank goodness for Super Glue!