CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

ATTENTION READERS

This blog is currently under construction. I asked my sister, Kathryn, to update it and make it look fancy and she inadvertently deleted all of my blog lists! If you are my friend or family member and I am supposed to be following your blog, please email me or leave a comment so that I can have your blog address again and create a new list.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Working Family

I have a job. Actually, I've been doing it for a while, but I hadn't posted on it or even told everyone yet. Our budget was stretched a little tighter than we liked, but I didn't want to take a job that would take me away from my kids. The solution seemed to fall in our laps.



A man in the Elders Quorum presidency with Scott has a company that puts up signs for housing developments. You know, the ones that say "This development this way" with a big arrow kind of thing. They go up on Friday nights and need to come down again Sunday nights. Gary was looking for someone to take over a couple routes, so we jumped at the chance. We took the middle seat out of our van to have room for the signs, then we load all three kids in the back seat and head out. I do the driving and Scott does the placing and picking up. At first it took us about 6 1/2 hours to do the placing, but we've brought that down to 4 1/2, and I think we can get even faster. Picking up has gone from 4 1/2 hours to 3 1/2, but we're getting faster there too. We have just over 200 signs between the two routes we have, and it pays $1 a sign, so for 8-10 hours of work in a weekend, we earn $200. The kids get paid for coming along with us, as well as for loading, unloading, and sorting signs. It's been a fun little job for us so far, and that extra $800 a month is going to be a huge boost to our budget. And we get to do it as a family!

1 comment:

jenn said...

sounds great! I wish I was getting paid to spend time with my kids :)