CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

ATTENTION READERS

This blog is currently under construction. I asked my sister, Kathryn, to update it and make it look fancy and she inadvertently deleted all of my blog lists! If you are my friend or family member and I am supposed to be following your blog, please email me or leave a comment so that I can have your blog address again and create a new list.

Monday, May 15, 2006

Calling

I have another post in draft form that I'm hoping to get finished today (even though Monday's are my busiest days) but I needed to get this off my chest first.

A week ago, Scott and I were called into the Bishop's office right after sacrament meeting. I mentioned I had a class I was supposed to be teaching (Course 16-17) but I was told it was already covered. That in and of itself was surprising because they always struggle to find substitute teachers for any of the Sunday School classes, and yet they already had one for me even though I was there. They had already planned on me not being able to teach that class. I was informed they would be releasing me from my calling and I should turn in my manual to the Sunday School president that day. Then they told me they had me in mind for nursery leader. I wasn't thrilled with the idea, but I've never turned down a calling in my life. I did express my reservations to the Bishop, but I also told him I would accept any calling he had for me.

So yesterday I was released. I actually wasn't surprised. I'd told Scott a few weeks ago I was pretty sure I was going to be released soon. I feel a difference in my lesson preparation. It's kind of like a little warning light that my time in that calling is about to end. It's happened every time I've taught Sunday School. Then they called me to be a primary worker. As Brother Swonger said it, I felt an overwhelming sadness hit me that I can't explain. It was consuming and I couldn't seem to control it. It's now been a day since it happened, and I'm not feeling any better. Is this just disappointment at being called where I don't want to be? Do I just need an attitude adjustment? Why do I get teary and sad every time I think about my new calling? I don't want these kids to be short changed, and I want to do this calling well. But will I be capable of that if it takes all my self control not to burst into tears every time I think about it?

3 comments:

jenn said...

OK Elizabeth. This is exactly what happened to me! I was realeased from YW, where I felt I had been doing good things and I was called to be the Nursery Coordinator even though I truly ran a nursery all week at home with four kids under the age of 6!
I won't go on and on, I'll just say- GET TO WORK! I cried every day for a week, but once I got busy doing the job, there were no more tears. I never loved the calling, even though people gushed every week about the great job I was doing. It wasn't a challenge for me. I felt totally unutilized! But I served my best in that calling for three years! I was the only one EVER in our ward to not be released from nursery when I had a baby. Still I served. I know I was blessed for my service and I know you will be too!
I love you! I understand the sadness you are feeling! But you will be great and I promise, you CAN feel the Spirit in Nursery!

Jill said...

I feel your pain. I served in nursery about 5 years ago and it was like doing prison time. It's particularly rough if you still have little kids at home (mine were tiny then). But, my mom has a calling in the nursery now and she and her team teacher are doing incredible things with the kids. They have a way more spiritual approach than what I did (makes me sad now) and have the kids memorizing Articles of Faith! My mom actually loves this calling and feels like she has an amazing responsibility with those little spirits (her words). It makes me feel guilty that I didn't regard the job more highly back when it was mine. Maybe you can have a change of heart and use your talents to bless them as well. Good luck!!

georgia-mom said...

Just wondering a week later how you are feeling about this. Jenn's comments reminded me of Pres. Hinckley's father's remarks to him when he wanted to come home from his mission: "Get to work!"
I don't love the calling I'm in either, but I see it as a way to prove my faithfulness, that I will do whatever I am called to do, even if it's hard or not fun.
The Lord's blessings do come, but sooner with a broken heart and contrite spirit, and often in going the second mile.
And the only thing in life we can change is our attitude.
You have a lot to offer those children, so give it freely and fully! You'll do great.
Remember Ziggy's advice: "Our future is shaped by our past--so be careful what you do in your past." You'll want to look back on this experience as being a success.
Have fun!! You can do it!