CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

ATTENTION READERS

This blog is currently under construction. I asked my sister, Kathryn, to update it and make it look fancy and she inadvertently deleted all of my blog lists! If you are my friend or family member and I am supposed to be following your blog, please email me or leave a comment so that I can have your blog address again and create a new list.

Friday, February 03, 2006

Progress


Rachel brought home a game board from school a few weeks ago, and for every 15 minutes she read with a parent she got to color in one of the shoes on her board. When we first started, she knew just a few words. In 15 minutes we could hardly get through a few pages. Mostly it was me reading and her repeating what I said. But in just a few weeks, her reading skills have improved immensely. I have been amazed at her progress. Of course we have our struggles, and nothing frustrates me like when she's already read a word half a dozen times and then suddenly can't read it. But overall I have been so pleased with her. It's so fun watching her try to sound out a new word, hearing her say the sounds one at a time under her breath before saying it outloud. I am so thrilled that she is starting on a path to a lifetime of finding joy in books. Books have always been a very important part of my life and I love that she loves them too. I posted this picture because these were her very favorite books to read. A Giraffe and a Half made her laugh every time!

3 comments:

jenn said...

That is awesome! I need to be better at reading with Soren, poor 3rd child. He really wants to read and he is doing SO much better at recognizing letters and making their sounds than even before Christmas. Alas, by the time dinner is cleaned up, all I want to do is send everyone to bed!

Micah said...

Reading for fun... golly, what is that like? Alas, the life of a student.

georgia-mom said...

Remember the experience that many have had: when children who are learning to read, read the Book of Mormon, they learn much faster! You kids always seemed able to memorize the books so fast that you didn't have to learn to read the words.