CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

ATTENTION READERS

This blog is currently under construction. I asked my sister, Kathryn, to update it and make it look fancy and she inadvertently deleted all of my blog lists! If you are my friend or family member and I am supposed to be following your blog, please email me or leave a comment so that I can have your blog address again and create a new list.

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Afternoon session

I just wanted a place to post some of my thoughts on this afternoon's session of conference. For anyone who also listened to or watched it, I would love to hear your thoughts on it! None of my quotes will be exact as I don't write very fast, but you'll get the idea.

Boyd K. Packer talked a lot about repentance, and he gave one of my favorite thoughts of the entire session. He said that Christ is the Creator, and what he made, he can fix.
None of us are beyond redemption!!

I loved Elder Bednar's entire talk, but there are a couple of things I wanted to mention specifically.
He reminded us that God determines the conditions of all gospel covenants, not us.
He suggested we need to learn to recognize when we withdraw ourselves from the influences of the Holy Ghost, and that with effort on our parts, the Holy Ghost can tarry with us much, if not most, of the time.
I also loved how he talked about just how much the Liahona was a type and a shadow of the Holy Ghost, put into the record to teach us about the Holy Ghost.

At first I didn't think much of what Elder Evans had to say about missionary work applied to me, not being in a position to be able to serve a full time mission right now. But it was a great talk. Then near the end, I realized that it could apply to me. He said to come and be part of the greatest generation of missionaries that has ever lived. I may not be able to serve a full time mission right now, but I CAN be a part of the missionary effort.

For being so short, Wolfgang H. Paul's discourse on agency had a lot of information in it! I didn't get to hear the talk this morning from Robert D. Hales, but I'm glad I got to hear this one. He said that agency is a God given gift and priveledge and an eternal law. Every human being must have the power of choice. It is by this agency that we are made responsible beings. And after we have exercised our agency, there must be consequences that follow.

The talk I'm most looking forward to reading when it comes out is the one from Russell M. Nelson on marriage. I couldn't even finish writing a thought down before he'd said something else I wanted to get written down, so my notes are terrible! But I do want to mention a couple things. He said that marriage is the foundry for social order and the foundation for eternal salvation (there was a third thing listed, but I didn't get it written down). Priesthood offices, keys and quorums are to exalt families. And we have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other.

L. Tom Perry's talk on the sacrament gave me my own question to ponder. Do I partake of the sacrament as a matter of routine or with great reverence? I'm afraid it's more often a matter of routine. But I will strive to make it much more a moment of great reverence.

I thought it was a wonderful conference, with many great truths spoken. I am grateful for the opportunity to be there and to hear the words of our leaders. I would love to hear what everyone else thought, and what struck you in what you heard.

2 comments:

jenn said...

Yes, it was good! I was cooking so, I can't wait to get my hands on a printed copy of the talks given!! Did you hear any of Sister Beck's talk this morning, awesome!! You'd love it!

Jill said...

Excellent notes Elizabeth. I liked the same talks you liked, particularly Elder Bednar's. I always love the Conference issue of the Ensign and will hopefully be able to fill in the gaps in my notes.