CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

ATTENTION READERS

This blog is currently under construction. I asked my sister, Kathryn, to update it and make it look fancy and she inadvertently deleted all of my blog lists! If you are my friend or family member and I am supposed to be following your blog, please email me or leave a comment so that I can have your blog address again and create a new list.

Friday, July 28, 2006

Long day at the park!

On good weather Thursdays, when my kids are done with their gymnastics classes, we head to a local park. I've blogged on this particular park before. It has a great play area and a nice little lake that my kids love to walk around. We're usually there for 3-4 hours. Yesterday ended up being rather longer. As we were about to start our walk around the "duck pond," as my kids call it, we noticed some people setting up a concessions stand. I thought this was odd as the afternoon rush had come and gone for the day, but when we got back from our walk, we also saw a small stage had been set up next to the bathrooms, not far from the concessions stand. It was about this time that Scott called me. I mentioned it to him, and he knew exactly what was going on. The Concert in the Park series had changed locations! He has a friend, Dan, with a hot dog stand who was then on his way to where we were to set up. I'd never met Dan, though we'd talked a couple of times. We decided we'd stick around long enough to meet him.
It was in a later conversation with Scott that we decided it would be fun if we pulled the blanket out of the car and stuck around to actually watch the concert! We had no idea what was playing, but the kids still didn't want to leave and Scott actually left work in enough time to be able to join us.
To our delight, we found the band was actually one we could all enjoy. They played mostly cover songs from the 70's, so my kids got introduced to music from The Beatles to Lynard Skynard to Jimi Hendrix. There was some softer stuff, as well as some more modern stuff thrown in as well. Poor Rebecca fell asleep sitting up during the second song because she was so exhausted. She had a nice little nap (about 40 minutes) then woke up ready to rock out! Tyler wanted SO BAD to go up on stage and kept telling us he knew how to play the guitar, and since there was one on stage not being used, he thought he should be able to go up there and play it! He finally settled for standing in front of the stage and dancing his little heart out. Rachel did more running around than actual listening, but since there were two little girls near us doing the same thing (girls she'd played with earlier in the day), she had a great time. After Becca woke up, she was content to just sit on my lap and pretend to sing with me.
The kids got treated to hot dogs (from Dan's cart, of course) for dinner, which they loved, and even got to share a Hawaiian shaved ice, with cotton candy flavored syrup, for dessert.
We all had a great time. The kids keep asking when we can go to another show. It means I was at that park for about 8 hours total, and gone from the house for a full 12 hours, but with such fun activities to entertain us, how could I possibly complain? I just wish I'd had my camera there to document it all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a blast!! We will be doing that again. Good music and good times.

georgia-mom said...

I love impromptu stuff--and free stuff. How fun. Glad you weren't one of those stuffy mothers who says, We have to go home and get dinner; we have to get your bath and go to bed. Do you remember such times as a kid, like when you kids swam in your clothes after a ward party at Seabeck?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
georgia-mom said...

Some people are smart and have learned to carry a disposable camera in their car. I'm not that smart, but with children, it's a great idea.