CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

ATTENTION READERS

This blog is currently under construction. I asked my sister, Kathryn, to update it and make it look fancy and she inadvertently deleted all of my blog lists! If you are my friend or family member and I am supposed to be following your blog, please email me or leave a comment so that I can have your blog address again and create a new list.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Producing

I started a little bit of a garden a while back, but I haven't had a whole lot of luck with it. Because of our cold spring, I started most things inside, and everything sprouted well, but very little survived transplanting outside. I have no idea what I did wrong, but almost everything died. I had 4 zucchini plants survive, but Becca pulled up the most promising of them about 3 weeks ago. About half of my cherry tomato plants survived, but they were looking really weak and sad for quite a while. I never got the peas planted, the onion didn't make it at all, and I have no idea if the peppers are going to rebound at all. They haven't totally died, but they haven't grown at all either. But on the good side, my 3 remaining zucchini plants are indeed producing some real vegetables! We actually picked our first one and had it with dinner last night! It was so exciting to eat something we'd grown ourselves. And I'm starting to see the first buds of tomatoes on a few of the cherry tomato plants! They're tiny and green, but there will be real tomatoes there soon! There is something really satisfying about eating something you've grown yourself. Next year I won't bother with indoor planting so I don't kill so much, but I'll definitely be expanding my garden next year. It's uniquely rewarding.

Fizzy joys: fried zucchini (especially out of your own garden), wearing something new for the first time, a good haircut, snuggling with a warm baby.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We did good work didn't we!

georgia-mom said...

I thought at first you had your mother's brown thumb, but it looks like you don't after all!
I forget how beautiful and rewarding a garden is. Don't know why I've given up. Oh, maybe cuz I live in Texas. And my thumb is browner than dirt.

jenn said...

I can't wait for the day Kelly plants a garden :)

Jill said...

The whole gardening process is a joy (okay, except for weeding) and enjoying the fruits of your labors is the best. Congrats on your success.