CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

ATTENTION READERS

This blog is currently under construction. I asked my sister, Kathryn, to update it and make it look fancy and she inadvertently deleted all of my blog lists! If you are my friend or family member and I am supposed to be following your blog, please email me or leave a comment so that I can have your blog address again and create a new list.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Fizzy Joy

When I was a teenager, one of my best friends had what she called a Fizzy Joy book. It was a small journal she used to record the little things that made her happy. She was one of the happiest people I'd ever met, and I think a great deal of that came from her ability to find the joys in everyday situations. She even gave me a fizzy joy book of my own once, but I'm sad to say that I rarely wrote in it.
When I was a kid, there was always this book hanging around the house called 14,000 things to be happy about. It was always out. It didn't actually have a place on the bookshelves. I loved to sit down and flip through this book. It was interesting to me what the author found joy in. A few years ago my mother gave me my very own copy of this book, and I've read it almost cover to cover. I still flip through it at random from time to time, but I'm trying to actually read all 14,000 things. Her joys are eclectic and varied, sometimes simple, sometimes not. She includes items, places, and even moods. Nothing is left out.
I finally came to the conclusion that since some of us are sort of using our blogs as a type of journal, why not make it a fizzy joy book as well? My new goal is to post at least one fizzy joy somewhere in my blog every time I post. I want to start looking for the positive in my life, and I want to share what I find. And who knows; maybe one day I'll have enough for my own book of 14,000 things that make ME happy.

So for my fizzy joy of this post, I'm going to list Anne Elliot from Persuasion. Her happy ending makes me happy.

4 comments:

georgia-mom said...

That book is still sitting out at our house. It's multiplied into more than one copy. It's a great conversation piece, a great gift, and a great reminder that we have so much to be happy about. I still wish I had bought that Disney sweatshirt, even though it was an XXL, that said "It's the little things in life that matter" --cuz it is. A fizzy joy for me is a daughter's blog.

Jill said...

I have a copy of that book somewhere too, I will have to find it (possibly in a storage box in my mom's basement). I think any way to recognize things we're thankful for, happy about, or that are in anyway good is a wonderful idea. I look forward to reading your fizzies from now on.

jenn said...

I have been thinking about that book all week! I am trying to see more positive things too! I recognize them and then still dwell on the negative. So, writing them may be a way to remember how much there is to be happy about! I want to add to my happy list- green lights when I'm running late!

Anonymous said...

I love it! I love the idea and I love listing all the things that make me happy in my life. There are so many little things that make me happy.

My fizzy joy so far today: receiving two phone calls this week from people I haven't talked to in ages!