CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

ATTENTION READERS

This blog is currently under construction. I asked my sister, Kathryn, to update it and make it look fancy and she inadvertently deleted all of my blog lists! If you are my friend or family member and I am supposed to be following your blog, please email me or leave a comment so that I can have your blog address again and create a new list.

Monday, March 20, 2006

Women

I was having a conversation with a friend of mine about women in general. It has been her experience that women are mean, catty, and view each other as nothing more than competition for each other. She had absolutely nothing positive to say about women as a group. She will allow that there are exceptions to the rule, but overall, she has a very low opinion of women. I was incredibly sad for her. I think we have all had experiences that would support her ideas, but I hope overall we have all had much better experiences than that. I know I have.

So I thought I would take a moment to write about MY feelings on women.

It has been my experience that women are generous and caring. The women I have known best have been women who help one another, who encourage and serve one another, who teach and edify one another. I've known women who selflessly share their talents and knowledge. I have been uplifted, comforted and cared for. I have become a stronger, wiser, better and more capable woman myself because of the wonderful women I've known. I don't know why our experiences have been so different. But I am very grateful for all the remarkable women I've had the privilege to call friend in my life.


My fizzy joy for today: my homemade strawberry jam. YUM!!

4 comments:

georgia-mom said...

I too have had the good pleasure of associating with the best of women in my life. When I see a catty one once in a while, I remember that there are a lot like that. Especially on TV. Many say they prefer to rear boys over girls because of girls' cattiness, but I didn't have girls like that. I'm sure being in the church puts us in the company of saints, but there are plenty o' good people elsewhere, and I wouldn't hang with snotty people anyway. Maybe girls are more insecure, or their competition is interpersonal instead of extrapersonal like men. But I think where goodness is concerned, women rule!
My fizzy joy is your jam too.

jenn said...

I am sad for your friend because I don't think I would be the person I am or have the talents I do without the good women I have known. That includes you who does make really yummy jam!

Jill said...

I'm sad for your friend too. Hopefully she's young and just hasn't known a lot of women yet, otherwise I fear for her social circle and co-workers. I've been around my share of catty, superficial women but that was mostly a long time ago. The older I get the less I think women are really like that. I think we're vulnerable and feel threatened by the successes of others, and that once we realize this about ourselves it becomes easier to love other women for who they are and not for who we're not.

Anonymous said...

While I have had some bad experiences with some women too, I just choose not to associate myself with people who are that way. I feel lucky that my friends are as fabulous as they are (like you!). I know some of the most caring, thoughtful, supportive, beautiful inside and out people in the world! While I appreciate my guy friends, I don't think I would survive without my amazing women around me!