CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

ATTENTION READERS

This blog is currently under construction. I asked my sister, Kathryn, to update it and make it look fancy and she inadvertently deleted all of my blog lists! If you are my friend or family member and I am supposed to be following your blog, please email me or leave a comment so that I can have your blog address again and create a new list.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Who am I?

I've been having some random thoughts over the past couple of weeks that I'm going to try to put into something cohesive here on my blog. I've been trying to figure out who I am.

I've thought a lot about who other people think I am. I've recently reconnected with a couple people from high school, and they still sort of think of me as the person I was then, a dozen years ago. To a certain extent, my family still thinks of me as that person as well. I suppose it's normal to think of someone as the person they were when you last spent large amounts of time with them. It's hard to see how a person has changed when you don't get to spend much, or any, time with them. But I've also been thinking about how my current friends think of me, and I realize that they would all probably say something different about me. Who I am sort of depends on who you ask.

I've also been thinking a little about what image I portray to people, and how much of that is who I really am, how much of it is what others expect me to be, and how much of it is what I think they want me to be. Where is the line between who I really am and what people see because it's what they want or expect to see? And how much of who other people think I am comes from their own limited boundaries of how they see me? I think people get uncomfortable when we do something or act in a way that doesn't agree with how they see us. Knowing that, how much do I conform to other people's expectations?

I know that most people do a lot of things, but most people also are best known for one or two things they do particularly well. Is that a byproduct of our need to be able to label people, or our inability to see nuances in people? Or is it natural to be known best for one or two things you do particularly well? And what about people like me who don't do anything particularly well? I'm not saying I'm talentless. In fact, I think I do a lot of things. But because I do several things, I don't do any one of them very well. So where does that leave me? If we don't have a "thing" to be known for, do we just fade into anonymity? Are we less important or valuable if we don't have one thing to be known for?

I know I have been guilty of expressing more interest than I really feel in something because it's an interest of a person I'm with. It could be seen as simply showing interest in another person and what they like, but I fear it's more likely a form of conformity. I want to feel like I have something in common with this person, so let's find something we can connect and bond over. But again, that blurs the lines between who I really am and who I'm seen as by other people.

I read a quote recently that sort of resonated with me. It said, "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are." I completely believe that. I am of value just the way I am, right? I shouldn't have to pretend to be able to bond with someone. I shouldn't be forced to conform to someone else's preconceived notions of who I am. I should be able to be me, the real me, the whole me, no matter where I am or who I'm with. So why is it so hard to do that? And what if I don't really know who I am? The same person I quoted above also said, "I would rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not." I wish I could live by that sentiment. I wish I had the courage to be just me in every circumstance. But I feel the need to conform. I feel the need to be accepted. I want to be me, the real me, and nothing but me in every circumstance I'm in. But I also want to be loved and appreciated. Where is that line and how do I find the balance? Who am I really? I'm not sure I know.

5 comments:

Jill said...

This is an interesting, introspective post, and one I don't have the answer for. I think it's good that you're working out your thoughts and feelings and trying to figure out who you really are. It reminded me of a quote I read recently from Judy Garland...

“Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else”

I think that's hard to do if you've lived your life trying to adapt to other people's interests and expectations. Hopefully you'll be able to find out who you really are and then live in a way that enables you to really be that person. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Speaking as the husband, I'm happy w/ who I married, happy w/ who I'm currently married to, and looking forward to being married to you for a LONG time. We all have different faces (home face, church face, alone face, work fac, etc.). Those faces all equal one person. Just my opinion...

jenn said...

I hate this topic because I am in constant need by other people for things I don't necessarily like to do.

I do think we all have more than our one or two "things" and you should be happy you do many things well even if that means none of them are great! I have been labeled as a scrapbooker and I want to say but what about my cooking, my flower arranging, my organization... I think we are supposed to do many things, especially things that aren't easy for us. We should challenge ourselves and do it in lots of areas. So, you are great! In all the things you do!

georgia-mom said...

You are your mother's daughter. Now do you understand why, at my age, I'm still running around crying, "Who am I?"?
You've asked some really good questions.
I've decided you never know how others really see you, and really it doesn't matter. The feedback we get from others gives us partial but suspect clues to our identity. Don't bet your life on them.
We always define ourselves with comparative words; we know ourselves up against other people. Different people and situations bring out different parts of us.
Remember that we are a mix of spiritual and mortal identities, known by God alone, and we're always under construction.
I do think that, paradoxically, when we lose ourselves in the interest of others is when we find a part of ourselves.
So I say, carry on, and grow and be open and do all that you desire, but be connected enough to others to take interest in their journey and be enriched by it. It's one of the things you do best!

And in the next life we will know, fully, who we really are.

(Loved Scott's perspective.)

Micah said...

I'm with Scott. I feel like every person I meet brings out a different side of me; sometimes a side a didn't know existed, and sometimes a side I don't really like! I think part of the reason we are given the opportunity to interact with many different people from different walks of life is so we can discover new ways and in so doing, discover ourselves. There are few people, if any, who see and understand all sides of "the real you." I'm just be glad you know that there is more to me than I know now.